Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Adios Zack Morris!

For those of you doubled over in laughter whenever I whipped out my cell phone in the states...I got news for you. The days of my Zack Morris phone are over!! Sorry Frank...

I got a new cell phone yesterday and so that means I am now reachable. My new phone is small and in color! Remember when you used to play the Oregon Trail on the green screen Macs at school...then remember when you played it in color? I know! My world is spinning...a beautiful colorful rainbow. Anyways here's the digitals and my address for all of you DYING to send me a letter:

Lynsee Melchi
Tuksdorp
H2:2-8
Univ of Pretoria
Pretoria 0002
SOUTH AFRICA

Cell #: +27 0724419621
(If dialing from the USA dial this: 011 27 724419621...and rememberI'm 8 hours ahead of Chicago, 2 hours ahead of GMT)
The best/cheapest way to call from the USA is to get a phone card. You can get African ones for $5 or $10 at most gas stations in urban areas. Out in the boonies, you might have to go to a Walgreens or something to get an international calling card. Just make sure to look at the prices to call S Africa and how many minutes you get for that. Calling cell phones is also more expensive usually.

So I moved into my dorm the other day...I guess I've spent 2 nights there so far. It's actually pretty pimp for a dorm room. Don't worry, there will be photos one of these days. I've left my computer at someone's house until it's insured, so it'll be a few days before I can download my new photos. I live in a single room on a floor of 8 rooms, 2 bathrooms, small kitchenette, and small common area (presumably for eating). My room is huge, w/wraparound desk, shelves, big closet, and not so uncomfortable bed. There is a shady lock on the door right now...but I've talked to the dorm lady about it (even though she is really scary and robotic) and hopefully I'll get a better functioning one soon. I have met one of my flatmates and seen one other girl. But mostly it's dead as hell in my dorm. It's a postgraduate dorm so that probably has something to do w/it. I'm conflicted...if I lived w/the younger kids I'd be meeting folks like crazy. But, I'd have to participate in (what looks lame to me) rituals akin to USA sorority/fraternity hoop-jumping. And I'd have to live w/18 year olds. I'm sure I'll meet some folks soon... Actually today a girl started talking to me and I think we might hang out later. She was very friendly.

Oh yeah...here's the photos:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0Acs2rho5cNGLlQ

Please let me know if they don't work. Also there are some photos missing (tacos and debauchery...stay tuned) even after the many many hours (something like 6) I have spent trying to get these bastards online. There has GOT to be a better way! Thankfully I finally found an internet cafe that doesn't suck...leave it to Asian kids to have the best damn internet in town. For real!

Thoughts for the day...

There are a lot of Asian folks here. I think Chinese and Korean. I saw a Korean grocery store the other day and a sign that said "exit" in about 10 languages including Chinese and Korean. Where did they come from? How did they land in Pretoria of all places? I'm on the hunt for some answers. The girl that lives next to me is Chinese, I think. I'm really confused. Confused like when I saw packs and packs of Japanese folks in Brazil...not tourist Japanese...Brazillian Japanese.

One of my fav SA DJs is playing tonight at a Univ event called RAG. RAG is like the big fundraising student party for the year. I think there are other things RAG does throughout the year too...but their big thing is this huge party for welcoming back students. I missed DJ Oskido in Durban in 2002 cos I was being lame and I'm not missing him tonight. I don't know anyone going...but maybe beer and house music will grease the wheels a bit. Seriously, I am being so shy here. It's weird. I just feel sort of quiet. I need to keep my eye out on what's going on before I start to get loud and Lynsee.

Enjoy the photos and speak to you later

Love Lynsee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynsee!

Hope you are enjoying South Africa. I talk to people there regularly. Because of this, I buy phone cards from Zaptel.com You can purchase a phone card online with a credit card and have it ready to use within a couple minutes. Their cards seem to work better for me than the ones in the stores. Check it out if you get a chance! Remie