Saturday, February 3, 2007

Saturday thoughts

Since I don't know anyone yet, really, I've just been sort of wandering around thinking. And hanging in my room thinking. Also my room is big enough to play hacky sack in and made out of cement...which makes it easy to play w/superballs too. Why I have a superball I don't know. I am addicted to them, so it sort of makes sense that one is just in my stuff. Here's a bit about what I've seen, done, thought....

(it's pretty long cos I don't really have much else to do just yet...)

Textbooks

Buying textbooks is a rip off in any language. The exchange rate and generous Rotary scholarship don't make it a ripoff for me, but I know a general swindle when I see one. I'll just have to see what the buyback prices are at the end of the year to really know how much the students get fleeced. I had to buy new editions (typical!) of big fat science textbooks today. I paid R684 for 2 books (biochemistry and genetics) which evens out to about US$97. In the states that would have been the price for one of those books...unless you are a supreme textbook hustler like I was back at U of IL. Then it might have been free ;) But I think that R300 for a book is probably the equivalent to US$100 as far as a poor student is concerned. I haven't quite worked out the value of money here, so I'm not totally sure on that. Bottom line...I'm ready to pack my juicy brain with genetically enhanced biochemical wizardry. You can add a heapin' helpin' of bacteria to that once I find out the last book I need. One positive note is that I will be able to use the biochem book for 2 classes this semester and maybe 2 classes next semester. Also the genetics book will be useable for 2 classes this year. So maybe this isn't such a bad deal.

Che Guevara vs Bob Marley

Che Guevara is everywhere. I've already seen him like 10x today and it's only 1pm. He must be the newest popular screenprinted image in S Africa. I've seen him more than Bob Marley!! And I've seen Bob Marley quite a bit since I've arrived. (PS: Happy Birthday Bob!! You know we love you. And when I say "we" I sincerely mean the global "we.") Just as when I have seen Che's face on a poster in the states and abroad (he was obviously also huge for young folks in Centroamerica) I wonder what that image means to the person displaying it. Before I left, I briefly tried to read a book called "The African Dream," which was written by Che. He was part of the forces Cuba sent to Angola in the 50s/60s (?...sorry didn't finish the book) and this book was his notes about what happened in Angola. So I suppose that Che may have some revolutionary African meaning for folks here...but I would guess that mostly he's just a general revolutionary force that will be popular w/young people for that reason. An icon.

Random image that just popped into my head: taking a bus from Coyolito to the Crossroads in Honduras. Just left the family on Playa de Burro, about to leave Graeme at the Crossroads. I look through the back window of the bus and see a Che sticker and American flag calmly occupying the same space. Now that's a conflict if ever I saw one... I've been thinking about the fam in Honduras a lot lately cos my friend Ben is in Nicaragua right now and I brought a picture of Mama Jesus with me that is now sitting on my desk. I wonder how they are doing....

Asians in South Africa

I asked a girl at the Chinese restaurant why she thought there were so many Asians in Pretoria (of all places). She mentioned the university and that was all she gave me. There's got to be more than that. I've also seen older Asians here that are probably not going to university. I'm still investigating. She did confirm that it was mostly Chinese (and some Korean) folks here. And also I read an editorial in the newspaper here (Mail & Guardian...check it out online. It's my fav paper here) that talked about how S Africans were going to have to get w/the Chinese times and learn Mandarin. This guy talked about the section of Joburg where he lived that was once a Jewish area but had since turned into a solid Chinese area. Like people only speaking Chinese languages, etc. I'm still investigating...

People are strange when you're a stranger

I forgot how weird it is (or can be) to have folks all around me conducting conversations in all kinds of languages I don't understand. I'm used to Spanish flying all around, but usually I try to listen to what people are saying to see if I can learn more and see if I can understand them w/my limited Spanish skills. I'm not really hung up on being surrounded (because that's pointless), but it does provide an interesting "hmmmm..." from time to time. Either I think about it for a second or I just tune everyone out. Depends on the situation. Primarily I'm talking about Afrikaans, but also languages like Zulu and Sotho. This is a solid Afrikaans part of the country and people ask me things/approach me in Afrikaans all the time. Last week I was coming into the turnstile at the university entrance and this dude was handing out free newspapers. But it was the Afrikaans newspaper so I declined it and said "sorry, I can't read that." It was sort of a strange feeling. Also the names of buildings are all in Afrikaans here which was tough on the first day of school, when I was feeling especially green, but the university does a great job at making sure things are also in English. All the materials given out by the university are bilingual and the syllabi I've collected so far have also been in Afrikaans/English. When I first got here some of folks apologized for speaking in Afrikaans around me, but I don't care. I learned that a long time ago. Folks should speak in whatever language is the most comfortable/expressive/whatever for them. All this means is that I'm going to have to learn Afrikaans!!! Here's what I know so far:

Baie dankie (said: BYE-uh DAHN-key) = Thanks a lot
Baie lekker (said: BYE-uh LACK-er) = Really cool/sweet
(sweet as in "dude, that bike is totally sweet")
Swart (said: swort) = study (like "what are you swarting")
Ayyyy Tuks! (said: tucks) = some rally cry for my univ
(the Univ of Pretoria is called Tuks)
uitgang = exit (I have no idea how to say it, just see it everywhere)

I probably know some more...but I can't think of anything else. I will know it when I hear it :)

Also on the people are strange tip...when I walk around I feel like a total weirdo. Like I'm just some vessel navigating thru a sea of strangers. I know that will change, but it's a new feeling from being in Urbana where I can't walk 5 minutes w/out seeing someone I know...even though the bulk of my friends from U of IL have packed up for Chicago. People even recognize just my voice in that town! Even in the vastness of Chicago I still saw people I knew (Mikey V, remember when I saw you walking your dog!) Hey, life is all about pushing our limits, right? My host told me Rome wasn't built in a day. I told him that I build Rome every night in my dreams. But as I walk around feeling strange, I know he's right. Patience grasshopper...patience (as one of my parents says).

Although I don't really feel like I've always made the effort to fit in at home, I feel a particularly strong need to do so now. It's very dangerous, as I'm sure we have all learned from classic episodes of various after-school specials and sitcoms like Full House. Except Mr T who says "Be cool or be somebody's fool." I'm sure he meant something else by that though...check out his video and report back! People will do crazy stupid things to fit in. I'm trying to resist this at all costs. For those of you who know me, this may sound off, but I really do feel vulnerable to these sort of peer pressures. Especially in a new-ish environment. I remember what it did to me last time I was here and I don't want to repeat past follies. I feel like last time I was here I neglected exploring friendships w/certain folks because they were less cool on the face or maybe because they were harder to pin down(yeah, I know...stupid). People like my Rasta neighbor Pam who was perhaps the awesomest person in my dorm. Beeeee yourself. Beeee yourself. Can someone just keep repeating that in my head for me?

The girl I met the other day (Siza) has already asked me to loan her R200. I've known her for 2 days and haven't really spent more than 15 minutes at a time with her. I felt really uncomfortable with that and told her that although I'm a generous person...I do have to draw the line w/money. I don't even know if I would lend money to my friends at home. I think Ben Franklin (or maybe that senile longwinded dude in Hamlet...Polonius?) said "neither a borrower or a lender be." When it comes to money, I like those words when it comes to my friends. Hey, family is another story all together!

Well basically all I did today besides write this was go to the school library. I'm determined to learn something about:

1. Things to do in Pretoria/SA so I can make a list of perspective things to make me stare less at the green walls of my dorm room. If I don't have a list, I'll just sit at home. Dad...we've talked about this...

2. The history of conservation in Southern Africa and as a model, the history of Kruger Park

3. Flora and Fauna of Southern Africa...obviously I'm way behind my S African contemporaries on this one. Hopefully I can do some hands on research too!!! Gonz...I said, give me a week for the megafauna!

4. The works of Martin Luther King Jr, Dalai Lama, and others known for peace and goodwill as a modus operendi

5. Peace Parks, especially current research and findings


To that end I managed to get halfway thru a book written by a female vet in Kenya in the 50s/60s. It's very interesting and (no offense Danja) more applicable to my situation than the favorite, James Herriott.

And now I'm hungry so I'm going to grab a bite and beer at a place called Cool Runnings, in honor of Bob Marley's (soon) Birthday. Feb 6.

Take care
Much love...or rather...One love!
Lynsee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi lynsee!!! i'm happy to see you are settled in s.a. again! i spent three weeks in benin in january and it was a really great experience...

anyhoo, i just got home from the uc hip hop IL breaks competition and it wasn't the same without you!

:)
joyce

Anonymous said...

faces look ugly... when you're alone?

Bob said...

Is the learning of chinese popular among non-chinese comunity?

Lynsee Melchi said...

I doubt that learning Chinese languages are high on the priority list of most S Africans. There are after all something like 11 official languages spoken here in SA. At home we complain about everything being also in Spanish, but here the ATMs etc have like 10 different options. The Spanish in the USA situation is a different situation...but just something I wanted to note.