Friday, February 16, 2007

Radio free South Africa

Hey everyone

I just wanted to let you all know that I've been accepted as a volunteer at the student radio station here at the University of Pretoria! It's called Tuks FM and is actually a pretty major force in this province as far as listenership goes. Their website is: www.tuksfm.co.za if you want to check it out...but I think the website is still under construction or something. I am going to be doing audio production for the station (so that means making commercials and jingles and stuff), which is something I would have liked to learn better at WRFU. It seems like they have a strong sense of the community, despite being a commercial radio station...which I like. I'm going away this weekend to be a part of their training so I can let you know more after the weekend. After I've been indoctrinated ;) I mean Re-Ned-ucated...

Before I found out about that yesterday, mostly I was just feeling frustrated. My classes are sooo irritating, as I said before. Yesterday I went to a genetics lab to learn how to do DNA isolation (which is super basic and something I suffered thru in Genetic Engineering at U of IL) but we didn't even do the lab because there was no electricity in the building we were in. I don't know why. I think it's a brand new building (like it's still being built) so maybe some wires got crossed. I really don't understand how the College of Agriculture here says I need to take these courses here when I have done the exact same (and even more in depth) courses at the U of IL. Next week I'm investigating. I doubt anything can be done, but I have to try nonetheless...before I turn into one of those smart kids w/potential that can't be bothered to do their work cos it's too easy for them. At the risk of sounding like a snob, that's how I feel right now.

I did the "Day in the Life" photo shoot yesterday w/varying success. You'll have to wait for photos until Sunday because I'm leaving in an hour-ish for this radio thing. Please send me the links to where your photos are up online and I'll add them when I get home on Sunday. Thanks to all of those who participated and "next time" to those of you who didn't :)

Well, hope you have a great weekend!
For those of you in Urbana...please go enjoy the snow before it's gone! I am actually slightly jealous of the crazy blizzard weather you got!! Please launch a fat snowball in my honor!!

Later
Love Lynsee

No comments: